Today Joshua and I met with Dr. Seigal, a neurosurgeon, to talk about his latest MRI which showed cancer on his spine in the lumbar region, the source of his most recent pain. Unfortunately by the time we had our appointment he was in a lot of pain. We had been worked into the doctor’s schedule and Joshua was his last patient…quite a long and uncomfortable wait. But it was well worth the wait as we both were very impressed with Dr. Seigal. He reminded us of Joshua’s pulmonologist, Dr. Cowden whom we like so well. He was attentive, very competent, and took the time to explain fully what the problems are and also the options we have for treatment. His recommendation was to have the least invasive surgery to strengthen and stabilize the bone sections that are cancerous by injecting cement into them…can you believe that? They should be more than strong. He will also remove some malignant tissue that is extending into the spinal canal which may also be interfering with some nerves…potentially causing some of his present pain. He has done many of these surgeries and has had very good results, so he gave us some much needed confidence in the midst of this new problem. And he was very positive about the healing that can take place in the absence of any future cancer…his back regaining its strength. Of course we discussed the risks and the inability to ‘guarantee’ success or the lack of potential unforeseeable problems as is true with everything in life we know. So we would appreciate your prayers of course. He goes into the hospital Thursday afternoon as it stands right now and the surgery is at 5pm. The Dr. also said that he could start radiation within a few days. He will have 14 treatments like the first round on his thoracic spine, I believe. If we start right away and need to have the treatments uninterrupted we won’t be able to go to the North Shore at the end of the month as we had planned. That’s disappointing, especially to him as he was so looking forward to it, but there’s no question in anyones’ mind what is most important. We may be able to go in the Fall.
I think that about covers things for now. I have to say that once again God transformed my fear and nervousness into hope and confidence through the gift of what seems to be one of the best neurosurgeons in our area. (the woman who transcribes for him said he’s the best around and we were fortunate to have gotten him). I’m sure she’s a little biased, but I have to say we were equally impressed…he just exudes confidence. And most importantly, Joshua feels good about him and his abilities…that he can entrust himself into his hands (literally).
Of course we all know who’s hands he’s really in! Without that reality I don’t know where we’d be right now.
Love to you all and thank you for your continued prayers and love,
Kristi and Joshua